Saturday 24 September 2016

Robot Wars Case Study!

Sorry Anti Grav Racing.

So as a child I loved Robot Wars! Who didn't want to see 100kg bits of metal destroy each other to an awesome soundtrack and splatter bits of metal all over the arena? And don't forget about the Houserobots you had a awesome recipe for non-lethal robotic entertainment.

And a video game.

Now, the official games release between 2001-2003 while entertaining weren't exactly amazing games, not that they were bad either, and I'm certainly not saying I could do better! What the games were though was unique, and after replaying some of my own (and also that fantastic Robot Arena 2 Mod) it got my brain thinking on exactly how things worked.

Lots of the gameplay seemed to be physics based, with the ability to flip robots around and out of the arena, pushing them around and the like. Armour would fly off in chunks depending on the types of hits you sustained, and damage took. So i started my own mini case study on how these mechanics might be re-created in Unity. Things like the arena flame pit can easily be done with a damage over time collider and particles, the arena pit of oblivion would be even easier. i found from playing the games some more the robots themselves would be the harder part.


So I went ahead and created my own robots! I have two bots currently, a spinner and axe user. Both can be driven around and 'played with' I'd love to continue with this, as I'd love to model the arena and implement its hazards, maybe recreate the obstacle gauntlets from the earlier series and create something that resembles a game.


However with university starting again in the next few days and heading into 3rd year I doubt I'll have much free time for my own personal projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment