Tuesday 26 September 2017

MetalMania Continued Development

I really need to try and keep up writing blog posts for those who read them...

Greetings random internet surfer! It is I, AnarchyFox, and I have some juicy details to explain in this post. The reason for my delay in keeping up with these posts is that I am now employed fulltime, and can rarely squeeze in time to sit down and write up summaries for any MetalMania work I get done, but fear not, for I am still working pretty consistently on it! Those who frequent the Robot Wars subreddit can see the stuff I post there, or on my Twitter before I post anytthing here (because its way quicker to just upload a quick photo), will know that the 2 player mode is coming along well! The main arena is all finished, and I am in the middle of that fun little process of moving existing bots into the scene, while also converting them all into 2 player compatible bots AND making entirely brand new ones for the latest build.

Which moves me nicely onto the latest edition of our rooster! Krave Monster! Created by AltaPowderDog (aka Carter Hurd), Krave Monster is a antweight robot that competes in local bot brawls. A overview video of the robot alongside other awesome antweight combat robotic goodness can be found on Carter's Youtube channel!

Credit: AltaPowderDog

Of course, robots in MetalMania aren't protrayed as antweigtht, and also features pretty much all heavyweight bots, so in the recreation, he was scaled up to chomp on the likes of the competitors! While a few changes had to be made, such as having the cereal box being not an actual real cereal product, and incorporating some design choices from his second build of the Monster he remains and functions pretty much the same as his real life counterpart.

A big thanks to Carter for granting me permission to use his awesome design in the game, and assisting by sending me a photo with the dimensions!



I have a few other bots in the works, including a creation of mine own to add into the game, and I hear that Dave Lawrie is returning with a brand new robot, maybe Jellyfish could use some company...

But thats enough about robots! You want to see the 2 player arena! In all its hazardous glory!


Deadly armour carving saws? Check! Penetrating floor spikes? Check! Crushing hammers? Check! Slicing side wall corkscrewers? You know it! Even flat parts of this arena floor aren't safe with the Whirlygig to throw your driving off whack and a dead drop based hazard! You can't even get flipped out to escape!

Alongside this arena, I also want to rework the Sumo Basho arena into another local two player mode for this builds release, and if all goes according to plan, this might even be version 1.0! Which means making some sort of fancy trailer to flex my video editing muscles (which would also be the first trailer I've made for a game ever! Excitement!). See you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment